// What do you need today? What is your heart’s desire?
For some of us, the answer may be relatively simple… I need better results at school. I need a different job.
For others, the answer may be more difficult… I need more money. I need the pain in my body to stop. I need more time in the day.
And still, for others, the answer is entirely out of their control… I need a miracle. I need my spouse back.
This week, two of my precious friends lost their spouses, both after a devastating battle with cancer. Our hearts are broken for both of them and their families. Life is not fair.
“Father, if only we could turn back time. I want the impossible.”
And yet, in the middle of the heartache, do you know what I hear? Music. Songs from my youth. Melodies start, and lyrics follow, whisking me back to precious moments with God from yesteryear…
One thing is needful, oh my Father
One thing is needful, oh my God
That I sit at Your feet and pour out my love
This thing is needful, oh my Lord
Yes, I ache for the needs around me. Oh, how I wish I could do something tangible to ease their suffering. But I ache even more for the silence I experience when I’m with my Heavenly Father, silence that only accompanies His supernatural peace in the middle of the storm. The silence only God can bring.
My friends, what is on your heart today? What do you need?
Stop for a moment and fix your eyes on Jesus. He is still on the throne. He is still good! Silence the racing thoughts in your mind and feed your spirit on His presence. //
He’s as close as the mention of His name… Jesus, Jesus
He’s as close as the mention of His name… Jesus, JesusHe’s as close as the mention of His name… Jesus, Jesus Click To Tweet
Stop and spend time with your Father. You WILL find rest for your weary soul.
Here are some verses to get you started…
13 Scriptures to Bring Comfort
- “Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30 NIV
- “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” John 14:27 ESV
- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me.My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” John 14:1-3 NIV
- “I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world, you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 ESV
- “It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.” Deuteronomy 31:8 ESV
- “Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.” Psalm 55:22 NIV
- “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.” Psalm 147:3 NIV
- “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18 NIV
- “Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, I will help you, yes, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
- “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’ Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.” 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.” 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 NIV
- “If I say, ‘Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,’ even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.” Psalm 139:11-12 ESV
- “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” Romans 8:37-39 ESV
Praying comfort and strength for all of you.
Today is DAY 6 of the 31 Day Challenge, and I am using it to explore UNFORCED RHYTHMS OF GRACE—how to live an amazing life without burning out or losing my joy.
Last week’s prompt word was NEED, but I was too emotional to write anything of substance. Today’s prompt word is SILENCE, and I’ve decided to combine both words into one post.
We all need silence, don’t we?
You know the drill… Five minutes of free writing, no editing, and then let the creativity flow. // marks the start and stop of the timer.
To read more 31 DAYS OF UNFORCED RHYTHMS, click here!