This largely unedited free-write is linking up with the annual Write 31 Days Challenge. // indicates the start and stop of five minutes. The prompt word for today is POST IT. Go!
// This is the perfect prompt word for sharing with you one of my favourite LIFE HACKS for Mommies…
I love them! Any shape, any size, any colour. Not only are they brilliant for reminding forgetful kids (and husbands) what they need to do today, they are also brilliant for SPEAKING LIFE TO THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE IN MY HOUSE!
What does that look like?
I have often used post-it notes to write Scriptures or encouraging phrases for the members of my family and then post them around the house. On the bathroom mirror, on the fridge, on closet doors, and ESPECIALLY on the walls beside their beds. That way they can read them first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
We believe that God’s Word is incredibly powerful for encouraging and re-writing identity, don’t we?
“All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, pointing out mistakes, correcting people, and training them for a life of righteousness.” 2 Timothy 3:16
So that means that when my kids read it, it changes them! It changes how they see themselves, how they treat each other, and how they engage the world around them.
David’s favourite verse is Proverbs 16:24, and it says
“Pleasant words are like honey from a honeycomb; Sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.”
So, Mommy… just like honey is sticky and spreads sweetness everywhere it goes, start spreading the sweetness of God’s Word all over your house! Write it on post-it notes, or pretty little cards, or posters, or whatever, and stick ‘em everywhere! //
Scripture Verses for Different Occasions
Here are some of our favourite Scripture verses over the years. Please don’t be religious about how you write them―use normal English and not Christianese. Simplify the big words and make them age appropriate.
And check out different translations, like GOD’S WORD Translation, New Living Translation (NLT), The Message Bible, or you can even paraphrase it and make up your own translation. My personal favourite is the SBV (Shauna Blaak Version)―I use it all the time!
When they are saying mean things to each other
- Pleasant (or kind) words are like honey from a honeycomb, Sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones. Proverbs 16:24
- A wise person’s heart controls his speech, and what he says helps others learn. Proverbs 16:23
- Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit. Proverbs 18:21
- Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, not cut them out. Colossians 4:6
- A man has joy by the answer of his mouth. How wonderful it is to say the right thing at the right time. Proverbs 15:23
- Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. Ephesians 4:29
When they are fighting and arguing a lot
- It is honourable for a man to stop striving since any fool can start a quarrel. Proverbs 20:3
- Starting to argue is like making a crack in a dam, so drop the matter before a fight breaks out. Proverbs 17:14
- He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit than he who takes a city. Proverbs 16:32
- A friend loves at all times, and a brother is always there to help you. Proverbs 17:17
When they need to forgive
- He who covers an offense seeks love, but he who repeats a matter separates the best of friends. Proverbs 17:9
- Love does not demand its own way. Love is not irritable and keeps no record of when it has been wronged. 1 Corinthians 13:5
- Be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. Forgive as quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And regardless of what else you put on, WEAR LOVE! It’s your basic, all-purpose garment. Never be without it! Colossians 3:13-14
When they are struggling with their IDENTITY
- “For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future!” Jeremiah 29:11
- Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established! Proverbs 16:3
- The Lord will make you the head, not the tail. If you pay attention to the commands of the Lord your God that I give you this day and carefully follow them, you will always be at the top, never at the bottom. Deuteronomy 28:13
Hopefully, this has given you some fun ideas for the days ahead.
Now go, spread a little sweetness!
To read more of 31 Days of Mom Awesomeness, click here.
For more information on the Write 31 Days challenge, check out Christina Hubbard’s site!