Every Friday, I join a special group of writers to write for FIVE MINUTES on a one-word prompt. No editing. No revising. Just WRITE. This week, the word is HELP! Go!
I see my need for HELP
- Rachel can you help me with supper?
- Honey, can you fix my computer?
- Mom, can you watch the kids tonight?
- Boys, can you help run the dogs?
- Or my personal favourite… “Company’s coming! Aaagh! Clean your rooms, clean the bathrooms, bake some brownies, pick up the poo in the yard…
I see the needs around me
- The sleep-deprived mommy who desperately needs some rest
- The friends who need extra hands to move house this weekend.
- The old man coming out of the grocery story with his cart wobbly and his coffee spilling
- The friend who desperately needs help with her resume
- Or the typical Mom-Taxi needs of “Mom, can you drive me…?”
But can I see the deeper needs around me too?
- Cries for purpose and identity
- Cries for acceptance and friendship
- Cries for support and training (as a woman, as a wife, as a mother)
- Cries for significance
- Cries for community
- Cries for salvation
- Cries for God
People are more than just their occupation or social status. Deep down, there is a very real need to know WHY they are here on this earth? Why was I born? What is God’s purpose for me?
May I never grow so busy that my eyes see only the urgent and miss the eternal…
Thankfully, our Father in Heaven knows that we can’t do all of this ourselves. It’s impossible. No man is an island.
So, He places us in families where we can be nurtured and cared for. He places us in communities where we can be supported and encouraged. But, ultimately, it is God Himself who promises to HELP us in the deepest matters of life.
What a comfort!
I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from?
MY HELP COMES FROM THE LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—He who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, He who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. (Psalm 121:1-4)
For more information on Five Minute Friday, check out Kate Motaung’s site!