// My eight-year-old imagination was spinning. What would it be like to be her?
Mom and I were cleaning out the downstairs closets. It’s amazing how many blankets one family can collect over the years. Blankets and books, suitcases and sleeping bags… and keepsakes.
This was where my mom kept her most prized possessions. There were baby books and baby booties, and matching mother-and-daughter dresses that she sewed for us when I was little. There were boxes of slides from grandparents that we would occasionally pull out for hours of stories and giggles.
And there were keepsakes from their wedding—treasures that had safely traveled between houses, cities, and even nations, such as…
- Her wedding dress, enclosed in a garment bag to keep it clean and protected from pests.
- Photos, safely secured in boxes to protect from breakage and sunlight.
- And the top tier of their wedding cake, enclosed in glass to protect from dust, accidental knocks, and little fingers who thought it would taste good. (In case you were wondering, it doesn’t taste that good.)
All of these treasures and more were saved for one reason and one reason only….
The Golden Anniversary party!
Last weekend, all of these treasures and 50 year’s worth of friendships culminated in one epic backyard BBQ at my Mom and Dad’s house. Yes, my precious parents celebrated FIFTY YEARS of “I do!”
And what a party they had! //
- Forty-five of their closest friends and family came, some traveling fourteen hours just to be there.
- One hundred and fifty pieces of Dad’s ‘secret sauce’ BBQ’d chicken (my mouth is watering even as I type this). Add to that fifty baked potatoes (the perfect pair with his chicken), salads, veggies, desserts, and punch. It was a veritable feast prepared by my Mom, my Auntie Ingrid, and my Mom’s special ‘angels’ (those faithful friends who are ALWAYS available to help you cook and clean for special events).
- The back yard was renovated with additional tables and chairs to accommodate the food tables and dinner guests.
- They set up a covered area to the side to display their keepsakes, which also included bridesmaid and flower girl dresses, and the keepsakes from their 25th Anniversary party.
- They also had a sound system ready for the speeches prepared by all of those who love them. Apparently, my brother, Bryan, did a FABULOUS job representing the kids. Thanks, Bryan! (and you were worried)
- Along with the sound system, they also had instruments set up to accommodate requests from the music lovers in the crowd. My dad has sung in different quartets and trios over the year, and once again they tickled the ears of everyone there when they sang some of their favourites.
- And then, to top off the perfect evening, the party guests played a lively game of bean bags (kinda like lawn darts, but without the sharp points). Haha, such fun!
The weather was perfect, mosquitoes strangely absent (until after 10pm, that is), and the party lasted well into the night. Some of these friends only see each other at weddings and funerals and haven’t ‘played together’ for years. How precious to have a reason to celebrate!
MOM AND DAD, YOU INSPIRE ME!
YOU INSPIRE ME to love and keep loving, no matter what life throws at you.
“For better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do us part.”
Those aren’t just words to us; they are your testimony. You’ve been a wonderful example to follow!
YOU INSPIRE ME to learn, grow, and create beauty wherever I am. Whether I’m planting flowers in the flower boxes or faithfully practicing my music, you have shown me how to make life beautiful around me!
YOU INSPIRE ME to be generous! Whether you are welcoming lonely people over for a delicious meal, having a late-night heart-to-heart with a discouraged friend, or letting your grandson move into your basement so he can attend school, you guys are an incredible example of what it’s like to live your life for OTHERS!I love you and I’m proud to be your daughter! I want to be just like you when I grow up! Click To Tweet
CONGRATULATIONS on 50 years together!
We honour you for your faithfulness to each other!
For those who are wondering how the Blaaks could miss such an epic party, let me just say this… it broke my heart to miss Mom and Dad’s milestone. It was MY job to help with cooking and preparations, and I cried all weekend knowing I couldn’t be there. I am so grateful for all of my ‘aunties’ who filled in the gap for me. What a comfort to know you were there.
The tears still come unexpectedly and freely, but the story is too long and sounds too much like complaining, so I won’t burden you with details. All I will say is that
This Scripture means whole lot more this week than it did ten years ago…
“Jesus replied, ‘And everyone who has given up houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or property, for my sake, will receive a HUNDRED TIMES as much in return AND will inherit eternal life’” (Matthew 19:29 NLT).
God knows, and our time will come. In the meantime, we are celebrating you, Mom and Dad, to the best of our ability from this side of the planet!
We love you and are so proud of you!
Happy 50th Anniversary!
My book is available on Amazon and Kindle.
For more info, check out the book page here! In South Africa, you can order a physical copy from me. Send me a personal message and we’ll make arrangements.
Every Friday, I join an inspiring group of writers to write for FIVE MINUTES on a one-word prompt. No editing. No revising. Just WRITE. This week, the prompt word was INSPIRE. How appropriate.
// indicates the start and stop of the timer.
For more information on Five Minute Friday, check out the Five Minute Friday website!