This largely unedited free-write is linking up with the annual Write 31 Days Challenge. // indicates the start and stop of five minutes. The prompt word for today is WARDROBE. Go!
// It’s morning… maybe you slept, maybe you didn’t. Maybe you feel beautiful; maybe you don’t. Maybe you have big plans today; maybe you’re just hangin’ with the kids. Either way,
“Girl, it’s time to get Dressed!”
You’ve heard it said that a mom wears many “hats.” I’m gonna go a step further than that. I say we have full-blown outfits that match each hat!
And every morning, regardless of how we’re feeling, we get to decide which of those outfits we’re going to put on. Let’s look at our options…
Mom’s Wardrobe Choices every day:
- We’ve got the BUSY MOM. You know, the mom who never says “no” to anyone. She volunteers at school, and she coaches soccer. She has coffee with friends, and she sings in the choir. She babysits the neighbour’s dog and serves down at the soup kitchen. She’s always busy, busy, busy.
- Then there is the ANGRY MOM. If your mood was a colour, would it be emo? Do you wear your irritation like a scarf around your neck? Or does your make-up express itself in road-rage and gossip conversations over coffee? //
- Then there’s the VICTIM MOM. Been there, done that. Nothing’s working out. Kids aren’t behaving. Husband isn’t paying attention. I don’t wanna cook. I don’t wanna go out. Nobody understands. I’m all alone. Blah blah blah. Yuck.
- Or how about the HOME BUSINESS MOM. She spends all of her energy and passion on her clients. Phone calls, emails, business appointments. Kids just need to sort themselves out and not need her right now. After all, “I’m trying to make money here. Can’t you just be quiet for a while?” Kids and husband get the leftovers, don’t they?
- Or perhaps it’s not money that’s calling, but rather ministry… that would be the SAINT MOM. She’s the woman who has so much passion for God and compassion for people that she is forever giving church and ministry opportunities the number one spot in her heart and time. Once again, kids must just tag along and be happy to share their mom with the world.
- Then there’s my personal favourite, the MARTHA STEWART MOM (in times past, she was also called the “Suzie Homemaker” Mom). You’ll know if you are one because Pinterest will be your ‘Bible’ every day. But I get it… this one feeeeels good cuz the house looks amazing, and her friends compliment her on the stunning food arrangements, and pillow choices on the sofa. I am totally a ‘nester,’ and I LOVE making my nest beautiful.
- Or perhaps you rebel at the thought of Martha Stewart and dive right into the LAZY MOM. Pajamas all day, no shower, no makeup, teeth unbrushed, unwashed dishes around the house, random toys hiding the carpet… you get the picture. Now, don’t get me wrong. Of course, we are all allowed to have days like this, especially when we’re sick with the flu, or spending our creative energy playing with the kids. But if you’re stuck in front of your phone or the TV, and this is the outfit you choose to wear every day, “Girl, you need help.”
- Which brings me to another sensitive wardrobe choice… the SOCIAL MEDIA MOM. Ouch! She’s the one who is completely connected and disconnected at the same time. She has 1000 followers on Instagram, but her kids are following Netflix. She’s participating in 30 cyber-conversations, but her kids are aching for attention. (My friend, your phone is not gonna satisfy your lonely heart when the kids finally leave the house. It’s a poor substitute for REAL RELATIONSHIPS.
Do you feel sufficiently convicted? I do.
So many options. So many outfits. We can choose any of them!
- The PROVERBS 31 MOM is the best choice! She’s the woman who walks closely with God and wisely nurtures her relationship with Him. She wears kindness and love in everything she says and does. The noise and distractions that call for her attention don’t move her one bit. She is attentive to the needs of her family and obeys the voice of the Father when He calls for action.
This is what the Word actually says,
“She is clothed with STRENGTH and DIGNITY, and she laughs without fear of the future.” Proverbs 31:25 NLT
“And above all put on LOVE, which binds everything together in perfect HARMONY.” Colossians 3:14-17 ESV
Here are the pieces of your Wardrobe:
- Strength = the ability to resist being moved or broken by force
- Dignity = worthy of honour or respect
- Laughter = an expression of mirth or merriment
- Fearless = bold, brave, and lionhearted
- Love = intense feelings of deep affection
- Harmony = the simultaneous combination of sounds which bring pleasure to the hearers
YES, PLEASE! I want all of it!
BTW―just in case you are stressing about how on earth you are going to become this Proverbs 31 Mom… just relax! Remember yesterday?
Today, I choose to also be a PROVERBS 31 MOM!
(Now, put down your phone and go play with your kids!)
To read more of 31 Days of Mom Awesomeness, click here.
For more information on the Write 31 Days challenge, check out Christina Hubbard’s site!